Friday, July 19, 2013

My unusual hobby


I have a secret. It's more of an unusual hobby. My latest obsession. It's flying through the air. 

Anyone who knows me personally knows that I am terrified of heights. Beyond terrified. For Pete sakes balloons freak me out. 
Last summer I heard a quote: "do something everyday that terrifies you." And I took that quote to heart. And slowly became a bit of a thrill seeker. And so when i went with my church to a baseball game and met a girl who was basically in the circus. I knew that was my latest thrill. 
My first aerial silks class I was beyond terrified. How the heck was I going to climb up a giant piece if fabric?? 
I almost gave up. Thinking that it was way to scary for me. That I had bitten off more then I could chew. 
But while it was scaring the crap out of me I also wanted to get better. I wanted to be able to fly through the air with no fear. 
So I kept going daily for hours on end. And waking up in the morning so sore I thought I wasn't going to be able to walk let alone go back to silks that night. 
But finally I noticed myself getting stronger. One of my proudest accomplishments was being able to sit crossed leg and grabbing the bar above my head and doing a pull-up. 
Sorry about the bad lighting. And no my butt is not on the ground. 

Whenever I go to silks I feel empowered. I feel stronger then before. I feel like a better version of myself. 
I've also met some of the best people that I know. Boys and girls just trying to make themselves better. And some of theses people have become my dear friends. 
I am no way a pro and I still work everyday to get better. But I think back to the quote: do something everyday that terrifies you. And that has now become one of my biggest blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment